Thursday, March 4, 2010

Are we stable?

It's been about a month since we started Dad on some vitamins and some attempts of a diet change. I make sure Dad gets his vitamins by adding them to his Ensure shakes daily. Changing his diet has been pretty difficult, but we have successfully added chia seeds to his jam sandwiches, which is a great protein and omega 3 boost. Still haven't found a good replacement to wheat... though I personally don't think Dad's allergic to wheat. I saw some immediate improvements, but I think they were due to the Ensure drinks. One of those drinks has more protein than what Dad has had in over a year. That has to be a rush to his body and his brain.

You know, I am not kidding myself. I don't think Dad will have full recovery, or even a 10% recovery from the vitamins. I'm just hoping for some stabilization. Watching him slip from one stage to another is devastating. I know he doesn't know who I am, and he can't really hold a conversation with anyone. I just want him to continue to be able to find the bathroom himself. If he can continue to remember to shower, even if it's once a week, I'm happy. He remembers Mom, and that works for me. He loudly and happily sings two or three songs (he made them up), I'm good with that too.

Today I asked Mom how she thinks Dad's doing? She said, he hasn't gotten worse. Stabilize, that's all I'm asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment