Monday, May 3, 2010

Dad and my forged signature

We could all remember the funny aspects of Dad like him yelling "Doooooorthy!!!!" at six a.m. and him leaving the bathroom door open whenever he would use the restroom, but there was one instance where Dad showed his true parental side towards me. I was in the eighth grade and I got a C- on a History test. Unfortunately for this class a parent signature was required for all tests under a C. This was the beginning of a new quarter and Dad just yelled at me for my previous report card so there was no way I was showing him a C-. I had no choice but to forge the signature. The next day my teacher looked at me and asked me "Who signed this?". She told me that I was going to talk about this issue with the Vice Principal the next day so I had to tell Dad about the test and his forged the signature. That day I went up to Dad's room to see him sitting there with his thick frame brown glasses sitting Indian style on his bed reading a some programming language book. I told him about the C- and forging the signature to obviously get yelled at, but he also told me that he would tell the principal that he signed the test so I would not have to go to Saturday School. Due to the lack of precision in the signature I was forced to confess to forgery and I was Saturday school bound. They called Dad and told them that I forged the signature and I talked to Dad on the phone while sitting in the office and in these words he said "You know what I am proud that you told the truth so now you have to face the consequences for your poor decision." Every other time I got in trouble before and after this issue his reaction to my problem was anger, but I still to this day wonder why his reaction was so calm and collected for the forged signature.

6 comments:

  1. Jay - I think by the time you forged your signature, Dad had seen 6 other children forge before! He probably laughed at it! Hilarous! I could feel your pain! I forged once and although the teacher didnt notice I felt SO BAD. Terrible! - Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember who blamed me, but one time someone forged Dad's signature and said I did it! So many different iterations of forgery throughout Dad's 20+ years of parenting, looks like he mastered how to handle this situation by the time it got to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny! I can't imagine it. I remember the other times we all got in trouble for forging. hahahha! I always had to forge for people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg! Renu that was totally me who blamed you! Sorry, I had gotten a c- on a science test and during parent teacher conference the teacher pulled out the forged sig! I wonder why I did not forge moms sig for that test..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, all you had to do was forge mom's signature. She would never rat you out. Come on! hahaha...

    Pankaj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ju! You owe me! I felt so guilty that it wasn't me, because I knew the person who did it was in REAL trouble!!

    ReplyDelete