Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dad in Bihar

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during Dad's India days.

Visiting Bihar for the first time in my adult life in May 2009 with Mom, I couldn't fathom how Dad left his village to not only live in Calcutta (a city not too far from his village) but come to America and adjust to American ways (at least somewhat :) )

It's been 30+ years since he left but his village still remembers him. As soon as you walk into his village there is the temple he built many years ago. It definitely does not look brand new, but it is still a place people can go to worship.

When Mom and I turned the corner to get to Dad's house in his village, there were two old men sitting on the floor of the alley and as soon as they saw us, they said "Engineer Ke Saabh ki pariwaar": The Engineer's family.

How did they know we were related to Dad? Because in all the 30+ years that has passed since my Dad left his village, no one else has made it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment