Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The prospect of getting Alzheimers

There really are very few things you can prepare for in life.  In most cases life happens so quickly we simply spend our lives reacting.  The truth about Alzheimers is if your parent had it, you have a 50% chance of getting it.  Now I don't know about you, but 50% is quite high.  Too high to shrug off.

When Dad was diagnosed years ago, I was actually quite happy it was not a brain tumor.  We knew something was wrong and were anxiously awaiting the results.  I remember thinking "Thank God, its not a tumor or cancer or something horrendous".  We didnt know much about Alzheimers and truthfully we all optimistically hoped medicine would solve the problem.  Fast forward to today where we have tried all medications and many different combos of medication and we have nurtured and cared for my Dad in hopes love can cure the way, only to be at a loss on what to do next.  The reality is, Dad died 2 years ago, right now we have a stranger living in our homes.  And sadly because this stranger is here, we really can not mourn his death.

I am starting to wonder, if the rate is 50%, will I get it?  And if so, how much time do I have?  20 more years? 30? 40?  Will I be coherent enough to know what is happening at Rekha's wedding?  My Mom says "Dont worry there will be a cure by the time you are old".  

Live life to the fullest eh?  Every day counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment