Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Right hand man

If my father was asked what he is most proud of in his life accomplishments, without hesitation, his chest would fill with pride and he'd proclaim, MY KIDS. Thats just the kind of guy he was, is and always will be. This is especially notable because my father did not leave a mediocre life. In fact, by all measures, his rise from extreme poverty in Bihar to a respectable lifestyle here in the Silicon Valley is the stuff of legends. I'm not sure he knew what the American dream even was when he came here in 1972 and took a job at a machine shop in Philadelphia, but needless to say his story is an inspiration.

His character and persona don't come out in broad strokes but rather in situational stories. I will try to convey some of these here.

Dad and I always had a special relationship. We were the two men in a family with 6 women. Even at a very young age, my father treated me like an adult. Before I went to school, I would routinely wake up at 5 AM with Dad, pretend to shave with him and put my winnie the pooh suit on to his match his 3 piece attire. I recall him bringing me to work on days that weren't bring your kid to work day. He kind of made his own rules. He would often have me tag along with him to job interviews and business meetings. Most of the time I would just wait in the car or a nearby Fry's Electronics, and be treated to a milkshake for coming along, but sometimes I would attend and he'd cut the tension in negotiations by asking what I thought. I often sat right next to him as he made real estate investments. Oblivious to the magnitude of his decisions and the course they would have on my own life, I think Dad always knew what he was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment